Although California has a mandate stating that all drivers must have automobile insurance, there are many drivers without coverage. What's more, is that there are countless situations where vehicles take off after causing an accident. Being involved in a hit and run accident, or an accident involving an uninsured motorist, is a scary situation to be in and it’s usually the injured person who suffers. The good news is, all hope may not be lost in these situations. You may be able to make a claim under your own insurance policy—provided that you purchased Uninsured Motorist coverage.


On the other hand, drivers may only have the minimum liability coverage amounts that are mandated under California law. When the injuries are serious, these minimum policy amounts may not be able to cover bills and costs accumulated from the accident. In this scenario, if you have uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage that's greater than the at-fault driver's policy limits, then the best course of action to take would be to exhaust their limits before turning to your own policy.

At the Law Offices of Fernando Brito Jr., our uninsured motorist accident attorney has experience helping hundreds of injured clients. If you were seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, motorcycle accident, or bicycle accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, we understand all the details of auto insurance policies, and we can help you seek full compensation.